The Search Engine Language
Now let us dig a little deeper to understand what structured data is.
It is simply the language of search engines. It is a way to describe your site so that search engines can understand it.
This language used by search engines to put into context, understand and match website content to the right search queries is also known as Schema markup.
Why is structured data important for SEO?
Google is always striving to provide the best possible experience for its users. Structured data helps Google understand your web pages, product, and business.
- Structured data enables search engines to understand all the pieces of your business, brand, and content much better.
- This vocabulary helps search engines match web content to relevant search results more accurately.
- Using structured data can lead to more conversions through organic impressions and clicks. In addition, search features help your content stand out in search engine result pages, hence resolving queries faster.
- Structured data helps Google build better, more accurate, and measurable data and analytics about your brand.
- Properly structured data improves your content appearance in search engine results. For instance, movie times from a movie page, the specific location from an event page, or reviews and customer feedback. In other words, it shows more information to your audience.
How is structured data implemented?
JSON-LD is the recommended format for structured data. It’s endorsed by Google and explicitly designed to help search engines better understand your content.
Other formats include microdata, RDFA, and microformats.
Remember that plugins like Yoast SEO make adding structured data to content pretty easy without going into technical jargon.
Some Helpful Links
Take a look at these other links for more information.