What does the Restaurant Menu Plugin do?
This plugin is designed especially to manage restaurant menus for WordPress and the Divi Theme.
The Restaurant Menu Plugin is a tool for managing your restaurant’s food and drink items. It focuses on doing the basics for the best SEO and Mobile usage on your website. It uses a Custom Post Type and a Divi Module to make this process simple and easy.
Where do you want to go for dinner?
This age old question is rarely answered with anything but food items or types of food. When you ask this question, a typical response might be for, example, “pizza” or “steak”. These are menu items at a particular restaurant.
More and more people make a selection based on a mobile search. Discovering new cafes or restaurants is all about the food and the experience. Statista data shows over 600,000 restaurants in the US alone. The competition is as intense as ever.
One simple way to improve your customer experience is displaying a restaurant menu on your website.
There are four main features make this Restaurant Menu Plugin perfect for your restaurant website. As always, it’s also very easy to use!
Custom Post Type
Makes menu management easy. Add categories, special tags, show pricing options and set your currency.
Uses Structured Data
Get an SEO advantage for your restaurant. Structured data helps Google understand your restaurant menu.
Custom Divi Module
A simple way to get your menu information from the post type, and insert into any page with the Divi Builder.
Having a unique style is important. We have integrated our plugin into the Theme Customiser to give you control.
This is just a sample of all the great features – so make sure you get our free 7 day trial!
1. Using the Custom Post Type
Using our Custom Post Type for the Restaurant Menu Plugin means you can easily add your food and drink menu items. We have a customised data entry form so you can focus on getting the minimum amount of data required to create your food menu. The data also maps to important schema data and the Custom Divi Module.
Categories and Tags are also enabled to give you flexible options in how you display your products.
A Multiple Pricing Option is available so you can do variable size pricing. For example, you can sell wine by the bottle or glass. Or you may want to have a small, a medium and a large size serving.
This is all enabled via the Custom Post Type – making menu management easy for you and your customer! Watch the video below to learn more.
2. The Divi Module Makes Styling Easy!
We created an easy to use Divi Module so you can insert your food menu on any page. It makes it simple to get your menu information from the post type and inject it into any page using the Divi Builder. Thanks to MRK WP, Divi now has a great drag and drop Restaurant Menu Plugin!
Some of the features and module settings include:
Completely Customisable. We have ensured that all the goodness of Divi is available in the Restaurant Menu Module. Many styling options are available to make your layout unique. Add borders, background colours, heading styles, line separators and shadows. Everything you can normally do in Divi.
Special Tags. You can choose whether the menu item needs to display a special tag. For example “Chef Special”, “Vegan” or “Gluten Free”. This is a great way to highlight featured menu items or daily specials.
Column Layout. You can choose from a 1, 2 or 3 column layout. The module is also fully responsive so it degrades down to single column view on mobile devices.
Set Your Currency. Allows you to set a country-specific currency symbol for your menu.
Only Show Specific Categories. The Divi Module allows you to group your menu items into categories for placement on any page. For example, Mains, Desserts, Drinks, Wines – whatever you like. Selecting specific categories can give you more flexibility when it comes to designing your restaurant menu page. You can even turn on category descriptions for each menu section.
Page Builder Support. Our latest version has front end page builder support for Divi Theme. You can edit the way you want to.
Watch the video below to learn more about using the Restaurant Menu Plugin Divi Module.
3. Structured Data Helps Google Understand Your Restaurant Menu
You might be asking what is Structured Data and why is it so important?
Structured Data is a tool used to help you get Rich Data Snippets into the Google Search. Using the Schema.org format, we have created a way for you to easily add this rich data to your WordPress Restaurant Menu.
Of course there are SEO Advantages to doing this. Google shows rich snippets in the search results for a lot of common searches. With the implementation of a schema.org vocabulary, you are giving your website the best possible chance to be shown in search results.
Dedicated Menu. We have a dedicated menu for Restaurant SEO to turn on these fields for your restaurant. Once this is turned on, all your menu items will get rich data snippets.
Validating the Data. We recommend you check your data against the item scope information on Schema.org which can be found on their website. You can also use Google Webmaster Tools to validate the schema and structured data.
Currency and Location. Using the right location data will give you a much better chance of showing at the top of the search results for your local area.
SEO is becoming more technical all the time. Give your site some ‘search engine love’ with this menu tool and get more visits from Organic Search Results. Learn more about structured data and the schema settings in the video below.
4. Using the Theme Customizer
The default way to style your WordPress site is by using the Theme Customizer. We have integrated our Restaurant Menu Plugin into the Theme Customizer to give you more design control over your default settings.
Your Menu Style. Having a distinct menu style is important for any restaurant. Get your potential customers to engage with your menu easily on any device.
Customisation Options. The Theme Customizer will let you style just about every aspect of your WordPress Restaurant Menu. We have covered:
- Number of columns in your layout
- Menu items with font, spacing and borders
- Category title and description
- Sub categories for menu sections
- Tagged items to highlight important menu items
- Borders and outlines
Remember, that you can still use the Divi Module to override these settings. These are the default settings for your styling. This can save a lot of time in particular for large menus.
Watch the video below to learn more about using the Theme Customizer with the Restaurant Menu Plugin.
Frequently Asked Questions
I updated my menu styles in the Theme Customiser but the changes are not reflecting on the page?This is because Divi Module style will over right these settings. Make sure to use defaults in your Divi Module. You can also try removing your module and adding it again to clear out the previous settings. If you get stuck please send us a support request as we are happy to assist.
How can I test my Restaurant Menu’s Structured Data?Using the Google testing tool is the best way. The Google Structured Data testing tool takes in a URL. If you have Yoast installed you can also send a URL directly to the tool from the admin bar.
What format are you using for Structured Data?We use the JSON-LD format. Google Prefers JSON-LD format and more easily understands your website. We also found it easier to implement.
Where can I find the Schema.org page for the Structured Data?For Restaurant Structure data please look at the schema.org/restaurant page
Can I have a menu item with more than one category?Yes. You can. This is very helpful if you want Breakfast, lunch and dinner menus for your restaurant.
How do I add my menu data?A custom post type is used to manage and categorise menu data. Check out the Help Docs to learn how to add items.
FREE 7 DAY TRIAL. NO CREDIT CARD NEEDED
* All prices in $USD. These prices do not include local taxes.
Links to related documentation and usage of this plugin.
6.0.6 -December 30, 2019
- Term post meta `weight` fetch for menu category via ACF was buggy. Fixed it
- Fixed divi module deprecation and a php warning
6.0.5 -December 9, 2019
- Custom support form in admin
6.0.2 -October 14, 2019
- Gutenberg block `Restaurant Menu` added.
- Added popover option for `DF - Restaurant Menu` module. Display featured image, title, description and price for a menu item on the popover.
- Added ability to hide current symbol in `DF - Restaurant Menu` divi module
- Fixed issue with computation of responsive margin and padding settings.
- Bug fix: `DF - Restaurant Menu` module popover close button jump fix.
5.0.5 -August 16, 2019
- Added ability to hide currency symbol in `DF - Restaurant Menu` divi module
5.0.4 -August 9, 2019
- Fixed issue for trial users where post type was not visible.
5.0.3 -July 4, 2019
- Changed namespace and plugin constants to avoid conflict with diviframework plugin
5.0.2 -July 1, 2019
- Added a fix for theme customizer page which gives a fatal error when Divi theme is not activated.
5.0.1 -June 27, 2019
- Renamed plugin and branding.
5.0.0 -June 14, 2019
- Integrated with freemius for plugin management and payment gateway
4.2.0 -May 3, 2019
- Added frontend builder support
4.1.2 -March 19, 2019
- Fixed licensing code check in activation hook
4.1.1 -October 3, 2018
- Removed unwanted module fields from Single Column Restaurant Menu Module
4.1.0 -October 3, 2018
- Added Single Column Restaurant Menu Module. With this module, you can add a listing of menu items by selecting categories and setting query limits and offsets
4.0.0 -August 9, 2018
- Added divi frontend builder support
3.1.0 -June 22, 2018
- Added custom field - weight for menu items. Menu items can be sorted by weight
- Added sort options to the divi module. Can sort by title, date and weight.
- Added a weight column for menu items in the admin.
3.0.0 -June 8, 2018
- Breaking change: Restaurant menu item is semantically correct now. It may cause UI of menu item elements to be a bit wacky.
- CSS bug fix: Fixed tag item css issue when it is the first item of the category.
- Added text design options for item description and item price in restaurant menu divi module.
- Added theme customizer for item description and item price.
- Price element is being handled responsively to a new line.
2.4.0 -April 19, 2018
- Price is a free text field and works with structured data
2.3.0 -April 19, 2018
- Added Local Business schema support
2.2.1 -March 1, 2018
- Added ability to show category description
2.2.0 -February 22, 2018
- Updated licensing code
2.1.0 -February 6, 2018
- Added restaurant and menu structured data support for SEO.
2.0.0 -September 9, 2017
- Added theme customizers.
- Upgraded restaurant module to have advanced settings and re-grouped options
1.0.2 -July 24, 2017
- Added ACF Pro plugin package link in dependancy check message