MRK WP - The WordPress Professionals
How to check and edit image file names and Alt Text
Before uploading images to your site, you must check the image file names to ensure they are correct.
Correctly named images provide search engines with clues about the contents of images. When search engines know what the images are about, they can display them as relevant results on the internet. Hence driving traffic to your website.
How to edit image file names
By default, you can’t edit image file names within WordPress. Always edit the image file name before uploading it to your site.
Steps to edit image file names:
- After you download an image, go to the file or folder on your computer where the image has been saved.
- Right-click on the image, select the rename option, type a new name, or edit the existing name. This works on both Mac and Windows.
- Save your changes and then upload the image to your WordPress site.
Steps to add or check image alt text
Alt text, also known as alternative text, is the description of an image. This helps search engines interpret the contents of the image. It also enables the visually impaired to access information through screen readers.
To check for alt text in WordPress, follow these steps:
- Go to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Click the “Media” menu item.
- Then click “Library” if your image has already been uploaded to WordPress.
- Please search for the image you want in the media library and click on it.
- A form will be displayed on the right-hand side of the image. This is where you fill in the relevant information.
If the image has not been uploaded to the website, follow these steps:
- First, go to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Next, click the “Media” menu item. Then click “Add new” and go to “Select Files”.
- You will then choose your image and upload it.
- Once the upload is complete, go to step 5, as seen above.
The materials section contains helpful links to some of the tools highlighted in this lesson.