MRK WP - The WordPress Professionals
How to Add a Category in WordPress
Categories are a great way to group posts with similar aspects on your website. This makes it easier for search engines and your audience to understand what your content is about.
You can add a category from the dashboard, or you can also a post within the WordPress editor.
1. Adding a new category
To add a category, go to your WordPress dashboard.
- Click “Posts” and then select “Categories”.
- Fill in the boxes with the relevant information.
- Then click “Add New Category”.
2. Categorizing your post
The process is pretty much the same. Go to the WordPress dashboard. Click “Posts”.
Open any one of your articles to go to the WordPress editor. In the editor go to the upper right corner and click the “Settings” icon.
Scroll down the page until you see the “Categories” section. Then follow these steps.
- Click “Add new category”.
- Fill in the boxes with the category of your choice for your article.
- Then click “Add New Category” at the bottom. Remember to apply your changes by clicking “Update” or “Publish.”
The materials section contains helpful links to some of the tools highlighted in this lesson.