What is Topic Research?
Topic research is when we research a particular topic that we think we might write about. It is where you search for relevant content and gather the information you need for your subject topic.
This is the initial stage of creating content and perhaps one of the most challenging.
By the end of the lesson, you’ll have learned the following;
- How to choose a topic for your article
- How to do the proper research on your topic of interest
- How to save your findings from research done.
Topic Research Guidelines
Here are some guidelines for selecting a topic for your blog post:
- Pick a topic within the parameters of your niche and target audience: Your niche product or service and your target audience often time determine the topic to write about. You cannot, for example, write about how to make an omelette when you’re a car blogging site.
- Select a topic that will be of interest to your audience: The research and writing process gets easier once you identify a topic suitable for your target audience. For example, an SEO agency would focus on a topic such as SEO audits since this is one of the services it provides to its clients.
- Decide on a topic for which you can find a manageable number of resources: First, determine whether available sources will meet your needs for the subject matter. If you come up with too much information, you may need to narrow your topic. And if there is too little information, you may need to broaden your topic.
- Try to be unique and original: As is the case oftentimes, your topic of choice is most likely already out there. However, you can still stand out from what already exists by ensuring your subject matter is unique and original.
In the following topics, we’ll look at :